Painted Day of the Dead Sugar Skull
Have you seen the adorable little papier-mâché skulls at the craft store? They are perfect for a makeover. You can make them spooky, elegant or give them a little Day of the Dead paint job. Add as many embellishments as you wish.
Papier-mâché Skull, FolkArt paints, Mod Melts, Mod Molds – Flowers, Scissors, Foam paintbrush, Detail paintbrush, Gems, Gem glue, Large black silk flower, hot glue
- Cut a hole in the top of the skull for the flower to sink into.
- Paint the skull with Wicker White paint. Use two coats for complete coverage.
- Add details and highlights with Pure Black paint and a detail paintbrush. Paint swirls and lines. Outline the eyes, nose and teach areas.
- Create a handful of Mod Melt flowers by heating a Mod Melt stick in a high temp glue gun, fill a mold with the Mod Melt, allow to cool, remove from the mold and paint with FolkArt acrylic paints. We used: Parisian Pink, Lemonade, Pure Orange and Calypso Sky. Top-coat the Mod Melts with Mod Podge Hardcoat. Once dry, glue gems to the centers of the flowers.
- Hot glue the flower into the hole cut in step 1. Holt glue the Mod Melt flowers around the edges of the flower.
Tip: Add glitter! Top-coat the skull with Mod Podge sparkle to create a glitter finish.